This delicious recipe was one that I rustled up after a long day at work one night. It had been a dark, cold Autumn night and I wanted a relatively quick recipe, somewhere between a chilli and stew that would warm me up whilst snuggling up under a blanket.
Yet again I raided my fridge to find a few leftover rashers of bacon and a chicken fillet. Thankfully the other ingredients are staple cupboard items that I knew would partner really well together so I threw them in.
All in all, once I’d fried the ingredients up and left them in the saucepan to simmer, I was sat down to eat within 25 minutes of starting. The addition of rice really filled me up and possibly in the future I would consider using brown rice, as I often think it can add texture to a tomato based recipe.
However, the true beauty of this dish is that you can use up whatever is in your fridge and really enjoy it. I managed to get two very large meals out of this – perfect for freezing and eating on a night when you are in a rush or can’t be bothered to cook.
- 1 onion
- Dairy free butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 rashers bacon
- Tin kidney beans
- 400g plum tomatoes
- Chicken fillets
- ½ teaspoon Cadbury cocoa powder
- Drizzle Worcester sauce
- Splash BBQ sauce
- 100ml chicken stock
- Yellow pepper
- Half mug of Basmati rice
- Teaspoon mild chilli powder
– Heat a chunk of butter and leave to melt. Next fry the bacon until brown
-Add the chicken and cook until golden
– Cook the onion and peppers and stir until soft. Next add the garlic
-Stir in the cocoa powder, chilli powder, kidney beans and tomatoes
– Add the rice and then the stock and mix well
– Stir in the BBQ sauce and Worcester sauce and mix well
– Season well with salt and pepper
– Bring to the boil and then leave to cook on a low heat for 20 minutes
– Serve with coriander