I have to admit, there are days when I get home after a long day at work and all I would love to do is pull something out of the freezer and wack it into the oven, like most ‘normal’ eaters out there do on a daily basis. I love cooking, but there are some days when you’ve worked too hard and just feel like slobbing out rather than pottering around in the kitchen.
This recipe is ideal for those days when you want something quick and easy, as well as being perfect for the days when you look in your fridge and realise you really need to go food shopping. It’s a simple family meal using the essential ingredients you usually have in the house, and best of all it’s yumicious!
Traditionally, pomodori is made with macaroni and Heinz do a gluten free version in major supermarkets. However, to stick to the traditional ‘pulling out whatever you have in your cupboards’ routine, I opted for tube shaped gluten free pasta which in my opinion is just as tasty.
A major plus point is that the sauce is naturally gluten and dairy free and so no changes need to be made if cooking for ‘normal eaters.’ Alternatively, halve the ingredients listed to make for 1-2 people, I often freeze the sauce to use at a later date. Happy days!
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small chilli or small 1 tsp chilli flakes to taste
- 4 rashers smoked bacon cut into small chunks
- 2 cans of tomatoes
- 250g gluten free macaroni or whatever is in the cupboard
- Grated cheese (I used Lactofree)
- Sugar and salt
- Mixed herbs to sprinkle in
1) Heat some oil in a saucepan and fry the chopped onion, crushed garlic cloves and the bacon chunks. Leave to fry gently for 10 minutes.
2) Add the tins of tomatoes with a teaspoon of sugar and half teaspoon of salt.
3) Bring to the boil and leave to simmer for around 20 minutes.
4) Cook the macaroni and take off the hob just before it becomes al dente, as the sauce will soften the pasta once in the oven.
5) Once the sauce is cooked, pour half of the macaroni on the bottom of a baking dish and layer half of the sauce and grated cheese on top.
6) Repeat this step again with the pasta, sauce and cheese.
7) Put in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until crisp and melted.